History of Angas Zinc Mine, South Australia
There are numerous small lead-zinc mines in the southern Fleurieu Peninsula where mining began in the 1840s, creating Australia's first base metals mining belt. The nearest historic mining to Angas was at the Strathalbyn Mine discovered in 1848, one kilometre to the north of current operations.
The largest historical mine is the Wheal Ellen silver-lead-zinc mine, 7km north east of Strathalbyn which was worked during the 1850s (see picture below).
Mineralisation at Angas was not discovered until 1991 when Aberfoyle Resources Limited intersected shallow mineralisation and by 1993 estimated a "pre-resource" of 2 million tonnes at 15% Pb+Zn. Terramin became involved in 1997 in a joint venture with Aberfoyle, eventually acquiring 100% and including the property in the Company's 2003 float on the Australian Securities Exchange.
The Angas prefeasibility study was completed in 2005 with the feasibility study finalised in April 2006. The mining lease was granted to Terramin in August, 2006 and the Mining And Rehabilitation Plan (MARP) was approved by the South Australian Government in March 2007. Construction commenced in June 2007 with the first concentrate shipment on 28 July 2008.
The Wheal Ellen Mine, worked during the 1850s